Last week, the FDA released a series of new warning labels for cigarettes and other tobacco products, causing quite a stir with the graphic images and stark warnings. For decades, celebrities have come down on one side or the other about smoking, from gorgeous actresses Brooke Shields and Michelle Pfeiffer to famous writers Oscar Wilde and Kurt Vonnegut. Exactly what do our favorite celebs have to say about smoking, one way or the other? Here are 8 of my favorite celebrity smoking quotes.
1. Brooke Shields
Don’t get me wrong: I adore Brooke Shields. But while she was testifying before Congress about her role as a spokesperson for an anti-smoking campaign, at age 16, in 1981, she said something that goes down in history as perhaps one of the dumbest things a celebrity has ever said, one of my favorite celebrity smoking #quotes. She said, “Smoking can kill you. And if you’ve been killed, you've lost a very important part of your life.” I shudder to think of all the dumb #things I said when I was 16… but still…
- Ten Year Old Fan Makes Justin Timberlake Cry during Concert & It's so Sweet ... 1217
- Merry Early Christmas from Prince George! See All the Royal Photos ... 737
- 9 Celebrities Who Hid Their Baby Bumps While Filming ... 573
- 7 Celebs Who'd Be Fab BFFs ... 481
- 10 Celebrity Posts You Might've Missed This Weekend ... 461